Wednesday, November 10, 2010

December - The Egyptian

The Egyptian is our book for December. I am half way through the book and so far it's been very interesting. This book is a worldwide bestseller. At first I worried it was going to be a bit over my head and I struggled with how to pronounce some of the names - but then I remembered Ginny suggested you just make it up and carry on. Not to worry, though, some names are just as they look (Nefernefernefer). I'm interested to see how this book ends (actually, I know how it ends, I just don't know why yet). Well, I don't want to be as a fly buzzing in your ear (you'll have to read the book to get it) so here's the description:

First published in the United States in 1949 and widely condemned as obscene, The Egyptian outsold every other novel published that year, and remains a classic; readers worldwide have testified to its life-changing power. It is a full-bodied re-creation of a largely forgotten era in the world's history: the Egypt of the 14th century B.C.E., when pharaohs and gods contended with the near-collapse of history's greatest empire. This epic tale encompasses the whole of the then-known world, from Babylon to Crete, from Thebes to Jerusalem, while centering around one unforgettable figure: Sinuhe, a man of mysterious origins who rises from the depths of degradation to become personal physician to Pharaoh Akhnaton. 

Well, if the word obscene doesn't make you run to the library to check it out, I don't know what else will! And if you don't read it - come to Alice's house on December 7 at 7:30 p.m. and find out what you missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment